main article image
(Howard Lawrence B/Unsplash)

A Man Says He Swallowed an AirPod, And It Still Worked in His Stomach

LISA EADICICCO, BUSINESS INSIDER
6 MAY 2019

A man in Taiwan found that his AirPod was still functional after he had accidentally swallowed it, according to a report from the Daily Mail.

Ben Hsu reportedly fell asleep while wearing Apple's wireless earbuds and found that he was missing one headphone when he woke up.

 

He then used Apple's tracking feature to find it, which prompts a loose AirPod that's connected and within range to play a sound, the Daily Mail reports.

Hsu heard the beeping sound, but did not initially know where it was coming from.

"I checked under my blanket and looked around but couldn't find it – then I realised the sound was coming from my stomach," he said, according to the Daily Mail.

Medics at the Kaohsiung Municipal Hospital indeed confirmed that the AirPod was in his stomach and was in the process of passing through his digestive system, the report said.

Hsu said he found the AirPod the next day after passing it naturally. The earbud was still intact and worked properly after he had cleaned it and let it dry.

"The battery was still at 41 percent," he said according to the Daily Mail. "It was incredible." He referred to his experience with Apple's AirPods as "magical," the report said.

A doctor who works in the hospital's emergency room said that swallowing the AirPod did not harm Hsu because he was not directly exposed to the device's battery.

 

It's not the first time electronic devices have been swallowed. In 2016, a man in Ireland swallowed an entire mobile phone and had to undergo surgery to remove it from his stomach, Live Science reported.

The incident was documented in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports, and the man is said to have recovered normally.

A 13-year-old girl in South Korea also swallowed her Misfit Shine fitness tracker, which also still worked after doctors removed it, as Live Science also reported.

This article was originally published by Business Insider.

More from Business Insider: